THE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE: The Magistrates in the County Court were usually made up of the more affluent members in the locality, landowners, farmers, and members of the church. Petty Crime covered a very wide range of charges and those apprehended were usually brought before the Magistrates fairly quickly after committing a crime, often the next day, and sometimes even on the day the crime was committed. The cases would have been heard at the Lincolnshire County Court for Grimsby and District held at the Town Hall in Grimsby. (See list of parishes covered by the court). The County Police Station was situated at 182 Victoria Street, sandwiched between the Golden Fleece public house and the Mechanics Institute which then became the public library (see picture below).
In 1900 a new County Court was built in Brighowgate Grimsby. Some of the Magistrates in the early days were G.M. Allington Esq; (George Marmaduke Allington born 1798. Deputy Lieutenant and Magistrate; Landed Proprietor). The Rev. John Posthumous Parkinson D.C.L.; (born 1810. Clergyman of the Church of England having the care of souls; J.P. for the Part of Lindsey, Lincs.) The Rev Robert Price Williams;(born 1819. Rector of Scartho); Jonathan Field Esq; (born 1820. Landed Proprietor); Richard Thorold Esq; (born 1781. Commander Royal Navy. Weelsby House). T.J. Harneiss Esq. (born 1816. Theophilus John Harneiss, Farmer, Landed Proprietor, J.P. Hawerby Hall). Crimes of a more serious nature were dealt with at the Quarter Sessions or Assizes in front of a full court and jury.