The Lincolnshire Constabulary was formed in 1856 under the County and Borough Police Act, and Cleethorpes formed a small part under the Lindsey Area. Captain Phillip Bicknell was the first Chief Officer. Cleethorpes did not get it's own 'Police Station/Lock Up' until 1872, so it is assumed that prior to this anyone apprehended would have been 'carted' off to the County Police Station at Grimsby and placed in the lock-up there. This also applied to most of the rural villages surrounding Grimsby (The Bradley Haverstoe Division) which came under the Lindsey Courts. The original County Police station was situated in Victoria Street South Grimsby next door to the Golden Fleece Hotel, George Stennett was the Police Superintendant. A new County Court was built in Brighowgate which opened in the early 1900's. The Grimsby being a Borough in it's own right had their own Police Force until it was merged with the then newly formed Humberside Police in 1974?
THE LINCOLNSHIRE CONSTABULARY IN CLEETHORPES